We recently had the experience of standing before a judge in a Harris County, Texas Civil Court. It wasn’t for us, but as witnesses for a friend. Her husband passed away unexpectedly before they executed their will. She did not have the legal right to dispose of their personal property without a will, so she had to go to court to be legally assigned as administrator of their estate by the Judge. We had rehearsed with the attorney what we were to say when the judge questioned us, but it did make us a little uneasy standing before that huge, formidable judge’s desk. Would we answer the question correctly? Would we get nervous and forget our responses? When we approached the bench, the judge was very kind and friendly. We immediately relaxed and answered our questions appropriately. The judge approved her request and legally everything was settled. Afterward, we went to lunch to celebrate, of course!
I began thinking of standing before God when it is our time to be with Jesus. Did we accomplish everything He had in mind for us to do in our time here? Did we really believe all the promises He has provided for us to live a victorious life? Did we act on those promises? Did we allow the Holy Spirit to be our advocate/attorney?
We have legal rights as believers and followers of Jesus Christ. Here are some of your legal rights as a believer as set out in scripture:
- Not Guilty – Jesus paid for your sins. John 1:29, 2 Corinthians 5:21
- A child of God – When you accepted Jesus as your Lord and Savior, you became a son and daughter of God. “Old things that were on our records have passed away and you became a new person.” 2 Corinthians 5:18 “The Spirit Himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God.” Romans 8:16-17
- Not Condemned – “There is no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, who do not walk in the flesh but according to the Spirit.” Romans 1:8
- Cared for – As one of His Sheep, He knows you, He leads you, you will hear His voice and He cares for you. John 10:27, Psalms 23
- Guided – Jesus went to be with the Father, but He provided the Holy Spirit to be with you, in you and He will guide you in all truth. John 16:7, 13
- Overcomer – Jesus gave you authority! Matthew 28: 18-20, Luke 9:1
- Access to God – Because of whose you are… “you can come boldly to the throne of grace in time of need.” Hebrews 4:16
- Loved – Jesus has given you God’s grace for your life, He will confirm you to the end, keep you blameless, and be faithful to you. I Corinthians 1:4, 8, 9
- You are His light – “You are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation. His own special people, that you may proclaim the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light.” I Peter 2:9, Matthew 5:14, 16
Your spiritual legal rights are in “the Book”! Case closed!
P.S. Oh, by the way, make sure you have an earthly will. You already have a heavenly one!